7.16.2009

Asking God for wisdom so we can 'wisely' go into debt??

Something about that doesn't sound quite right??

We finally sold our home in Missouri several months ago! And, of course, we immediately started contemplating a home purchase here in Birmingham (that's what you do in America, right??...one mortgage to the next). We have the option to purchase the home we're leasing, but I/we haven't been completely sold on the idea for several reasons (though, it's a great house)...

Ideally, we'd like to be closer to the church -- but, that means spending mucho $$ -- which isn't the grandest of ideas since we lost most of our equity in our MO home (thanks greedy people & crooked banks for killing the market). Not to mention we just finalized one adoption, and have a second one in the works (which ='s more mucho $$).

Up until now, we have been very comfortable rationalizing why we should spend more money on what I like to call "a pile of bricks"...convenience, community, schools...blah, blah, blah. Wow- it's so easy to mindlessly get sucked into American culture...because, of course, that's what God wants for us, right??? A life of ease...comfort...status...

Uhhhhh...NO!!!!!

And a scribe came up and said to him, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.” And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” Matthew 8:19-20

Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. John 13:16

Are you tracking with me???

Jesus wasn't concerned with his zip code registering Capernaum or Jerusalem...and is a servant greater than his master...??

No, I haven't gone off the deep-end -- and, I am aware that I can be very idealistic -- BUT, that doesn't mean I should disregard the above thoughts (that's what's wrong with Western Christians anyway: "God couldn't possibly expect me (privileged American) to do X, Y or Z...", so discard thought-process)

Another lame arguement: owning a home is a great investment...hmmm, is that's why we walked away from our last home with pocket lent?? And, an investment in what?? Temporary or eternal. Yes, again being idealistic... Guess I'd rather be idealistic than "luke-warm"...

So, where am I going with this rant...oh, who knows...


What I do know is that God has me thinking outside the box about a lot of things...and I love it...and not to mention, I love the way everyone else squirms when someone is thinking outside the box...I think it's called "counter-culture"...

If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them- Jesus


...more thoughts on this soon...

7 comments:

Erin McCoy said...

hahaha i love you...... you're fantastic!

Roscoe and Julia Richardson said...

Wow Alisa - I like how your mind reasons! Very good thoughts to ponder.

Jaime said...

i love the part about jesus not caring what his zip code was. too true. coming home from ET will change you, right?

Kelly said...

SUPER and right on, Alisa!!! I have been contemplating the same things lately!!!

Can't wait to see you in September!!

Kelly

Amy said...

alisa,
I frequently think about how to simplify my life. People are always telling me to buy a house but a house for me would overcomplicate things. An overcomplicated life is a life not focused on the Lord and His work.
Amy

CousinKarat said...

Now see this is what I love about you. Go on girl! Get all wound up and let us have it! I have lots of thoughts on the subject of finances as it pertains to my own life, but this is your blog, not mine so I won't start. Great scriptural reminders too!

Kathleen said...

Totally agree...with the tax break, low prices, etc, the world says this is the time to buy, but what is God saying individually. He told us to stay in an apartment--we believe there is a reason. Besides, I try to think of our rent payment as an investment, too-God uses it to provide for someone (our godly landlord who sees it all as God's). --Kathleen M.

An Orphan's Ticket Home

An Orphan's Ticket Home
Click here to Donate Today!!!
Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker