4.25.2011

It matters to God. My mailbox told me so.

UPDATE!  As of 4/28 Mother's Day cards have raised $2440 for Trees of Glory in Ethiopia!!

I hate to admit that this is very much a season in my life where my time in the Word and deliberate prayer often wanes.  That's just the way it is.  Yet this afternoon, I captured a moment while the boys were napping to read a few chapters in Romans and talk with my God.  A few thoughts surfaced--thoughts that have been heavy on my heart...

...is our concern for the least of these driven by impure motives...are we taking Scripture out of context, in order to prop-up do-good-deeds, because we're really just looking for an ego-trip...

So I simply asked God to examine my heart. To affirm our steps.  Or to redirect our paths.  We are passionate about serving the destitute and the marginalized.  We're always looking for ways to do more.  Not because we feel obligated, but because every need that is met is an open door for the Gospel.  For physical relief and spiritual healing.  Even still, the best of intentions always need to be examined before God, in the light of His Word.

After a few quite moments with the Lord, I closed my Bible.  And I walked outside to check the mail.  There were three envelopes inside.  One about our renters insurance.  Another, a thank-you note from a new mom that I had never met before, but several Believers wanted to bless her with a shower because she's not connected to a church (and I got to be apart).  The third piece of mail was from HopeChest.  It was a hand-written, translated letter from a child that we sponsor in Ethiopia.  He told us that he is doing well, and added 'praise God.'  He also wanted to know if we're coming to Ethiopia, and he asked that we pray for his school.

We've sponsored this child for over a year, and this is the first hand-written letter that we've received from him.

Can I just tell you that I was in awe.  I broke down in tears as I told Vince about what just happened.  I asked God to show me His heart, and test mine -- and with in a matter of minutes I found T's letter in our mail box.  Coincidence?  Absolutely not!  Affirmation?  Absolutely!

In that moment, I felt the weight of God's heart.  The marginalized, destitute and fatherless do matter to Him!  And He ordained in eternity-past that T's letter would be in our mailbox, to affirm our family.  Wow!  It's so easy to get discouraged by the noise of ridicule when it comes to Gospel social justice.  Thank you, Lord, that your voice rings truer and clearer!

May he defend the cause of the poor of the people,
give deliverance to the children of the needy,
and crush the oppressor...
For he delivers the needy when he calls,
the poor and him who has no helper.
He has pity on the weak and the needy,
and saves the lives of the needy.
From oppression and violence he redeems their life,
and precious is their blood in his sight.

Now switching-gears.  Kind-of.  (I feel this also falls in the it-matters-to-God category)   As of this afternoon, we're raise over $1200 for the Trees of Glory clean water well project.  Just $300-shy of last year's total for Kind Hearts play ground equipment.  What an honor is has been for me to make my simplistic cards.  If you haven't joined the fundraiser, there's still time to order cards!!  I will take orders through Sat, Apr 30.  For all the details, see my previous post below.

our sweet T at Kind Hearts in Ethiopia...he matters

1 comment:

Karen said...

Alisa - I am so glad to hear you got a letter from T - and with such perfect timing! God IS the Father to the fatherless. blessings - Karen Wistrom :)

An Orphan's Ticket Home

An Orphan's Ticket Home
Click here to Donate Today!!!
Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker