7.11.2008

Absolute Utter Disgust

Please excuse me while I vent my idealistic thoughts....if you find them offensive....GOOD!!

We have friends who are currently in Ethiopia picking-up their daughter -- last night they had to rush her to the hospital because she's having difficulty breathing (pneumonia, possibly). A family from our agency shared with us this morning another tragic story: their friends received a referral in May for a precious little boy from Ethiopia; well, this little boy died yesterday...they never even got to meet him. Several months ago, an AWAA family traveled to Ethiopia to pick-up their child, only to discover their child had a twin...but the twin died before they received their referral.

Are you your brother's keeper????...isn't that the question Cain asked of God, after murdering his brother???

As I sit here in my comfy home, using my Wi-Fi, drinking my expensive coffee - I have a sudden urge to vomit! Our Western apathy is despicable. All over the world, little boys are being ravaged by treatable diseases...little girls are trading sex for food so they can live one more day. And do you know the one thing they all have in common (other than death): it is the hope that someone is coming to help. Really???

I don't want to listen to the excuses about 'why' we can't help them...not from our politicians, nor from our gluttonous society (vomit, again). I have a sneaking suspicion God hasn't any use for our excuses either. As a matter of fact, I'm quite convinced we will face God's reckoning for our indifference. He has blessed us with all the resources necessary to help these children...but instead, we've chosen to bury our "talent", as did the "wicked and slothful servant."

Let me encourage you NOT to believe the lie that is straight from Hell: "If I can't help them all, it's no use to help any."

God has called you to be faithful with what He has given you -- just in case you forgot, everything you think you own actually belongs to God. His intention is not for us to use His blessings to enlarge our kindom, but to enlarge His!

But, even in the midst of my disgust I have hope...hope that God will forgive my apathy, and create within me a genuine concern that leads to action.

And, I have this very hope for you, too.

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
James 1:22-27

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

You are where I've been today! Have you read the book Red Letters by Tom Davis? You should. I read this quote today that cut me to the core:

"When a poor person dies of hunger, it has not happened because God did not take care of him or her. It has happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed. We have refused to be instruments of love in the hands of God to give the poor a piece of bread, to offer them a dress with which to ward off the cold. It has happened because we did not recognize Christ when, once more, he appeared under the guise of pain, identified with a man numb from the cold, dying of hunger, when he came in a lonely human being, in a lost child in search of a home."

Yikes. There is so much that everyone can do. It's just a matter of getting out there and doing something!

Excellent post! I hope you're making people think!

Anonymous said...

This was a great post Alisa--once again I am drawn back to the big picture. Why do I so easily slip away from it. I've been thinking these things lately too. Great quote Rebecca--thanks for sharing that. I get so tired of the apathy in the church towards the poor and hurting in the world. I pray that God allows our family to always be a part of change!

Anonymous said...

Hi Alisa~
Found your blog thru YG.....love your comments on this. I, too, am disgusted by our apathy towards the hurting and needy.
I believe that many Christians (including me) have bought into the lie that there is no reason to try to help because the problem is just too big. If we each did a part, it would be amazing to see how God would work it all together for HIS good!
Thanks for a great post~
Kathy Garrison
www.impresseduponourhearts.blogspot.com

Jori said...

I recently heard: The only thing Satan needs in the church is Apathy!! I am so with you on this ~ people do something!! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!!
Jori
DTE 02/19 either x2

Rebecca Caldwell said...

You go girl!! This post was very convicting and insightful. Thanks for this :)

An Orphan's Ticket Home

An Orphan's Ticket Home
Click here to Donate Today!!!
Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker