5.30.2010

the idolatry of justice

Social justice...adoption...it's all the rave right now.
At least, that's how many outsiders, if you will, view the efforts of Christian social justice...it's the cool thing to do.
Um...yeah...right?
That's why our family is going broke and giving strangers our last name.
It's sooooo darn cooooool!

Seriously, in the world of Christian thinkers, there is among some, a slight hesitation toward social justice. Even an uneasiness toward adoption, and foster-care. And, some of their concerns are legitimate...the main one being, that Believers could get so caught-up in administering justice, that they lose sight of why they are administering it....becoming just another secular group of do-gooders.

For Followers of Jesus, the why that fuels our desire for justice is to bring God glory...to make His name known among the nations...to give hope to the hopeless by proclaiming the year of spiritual Jubilee!

That said, we (I!!) could benefit from considering the hesitations of our critics.

Where in the world am I going with this?
I'm actually intending to follow-up my previous post, because I want to share a comment from someone who read the post.

comment from KLT:
Alisa,
In my own life, I can't help but think that there are times, despite my originally pure (as much as I can know) motives in our adoption journeys, that some part of the process becomes an idol itself. Instead of following God, I get more concerned about what I think should be happening. How is it that I find it so hard to maintain the clarity of focus of knowing His heart and loving Him first, when I am captivated by what I believe to be one of His passions! It's a paradox, I think, but one that is a constant struggle for me and, perhaps, captures some of what you've been feeling lately, too. I'm praying right now for a fresh outpouring of God's grace for your moments of trial in the days to come.


KLT described, with much wisdom, the paradox that surfaced in my previous post. Though I am deeply motivated in my call to adopt by God's love poured-out in my own life. I can easily lose sight of the Heart that's guiding my every turn...and instead of glorifying the Problem-Solver, I glorify the problems. I focus on my anxiety, above God's will. And when I do that, I am relying on my anxiety and limited trouble-shooting ability...instead of turning to prayer and God's Word. It's not quite the same as becoming a secular do-gooder, but it does resemble the hopelessness of person alienated from Christ. Again, instead of worshipping the One True God...the One True Problem-Solver...I have made a god of circumstances and details that are far beyond my control.

So, again, where in the world am I going with all this??
Well, I'm really not sure, so I will leave you with this...

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. Rom 15:13

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Cor 1:3-4

Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace,comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word. 2 Thes 2:16-17

2 comments:

Erin McCoy said...

fantastic post, Alisa!

beBOLDjen said...

It seems with every opportunity to give or help the temptation is to feel I ought to be doing more.It so easy to lose focus in any number of ways. I wrote about similar issues here:http://beboldjen.com/?p=504

KLT's words are very wise, indeed! Thanks thanks for the reminder. I need them ALL the time.

An Orphan's Ticket Home

An Orphan's Ticket Home
Click here to Donate Today!!!
Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker